Two days ago I called my dad’s sister Sarojini Akka in Mangalore, we talked mainly about my school summer vacation when all the family members assembled at our ancestral house at Badiadka and my grand mom preparing different varieties of dishes, seasonal foods, curries using raw mangoes etc. My grand mom was very fond of fish and she liked clams very much. Whenever we got clams she insisted to prepare Khubbe Umman (kakka curry in Konkani style). I too liked it very much and I did not have the recipe with me and I got the same from My sarojini akka. I could not control my temptation so I went to the fish market and bought it myself and prepared the curry.
1. Kubbo/clams/kakka ½kg
2. Malabar Cucumber/vellarikka 1 medium
3. Drumstick /muringa 1 or 2
4. Raw mango 1 no’s
5. Grated coconut 1 cup
6. Red chillies 10 to 15
7. Hing powder(asafoetida) ½ tsp
8. Coconut oil 1 or 2 tsp
9. Salt to taste
· Wash the clams 3 to 4 times in clean water
· Add little water and boil for 5 to 10 minutes so that the shells of the clams open
· Let it cool for some time.
· Remove the flesh from the shell and keep aside ( you can keep some clams with shell because it gives a nice aroma and flavour to the dish).
· Chop cucumber, mango and drumstick into big pieces and boil this with the clams for 5 to 10 minutes till all this gets cooked well.
· For masala grind grated coconut and red chillies into fine paste.
· Add this paste with cooked clams and vegetable, add hing powder dispersed in 2 to 3 tsp water and add salt and boil for 5 to 10 minutes.
· Switch off the gas then pour coconut oil in the curry.
Post a Comment