Here is the recipe for making Rava/Sooji Puttu. I prefer to have this puttu with cherupayaru Curry or any other gravy. I like having Rava Puttu with Bananas and sugar.
- Rava/Sooji/– 2 cups
- Salt – to taste
- Warm Water – 1 cup (for mixing)
- Coconut scrapes – 1 cup
- Sugar – 1 tsp
1. Mix grated coconut with sugar and keep aside.
2. Steam Rava for 15 minutes.``````````````````
3. Remove the Rava from heat. Allow it to cool.
5. Keep on adding warm water little by little and mixing till the rava becomes wet fully and resembles bread crumbs. I used around 1 cup of water for 2 cups of rava.
6. Add 2 tbsps of coconut sugar mix to the bottom of a Puttu Kuti (mould for making Puttu). Then add rava mixture till the middle of the Puttu Kutti, followed by coconut. Continue adding Rava and finally some coconut on the top.
7. Take water in a Puttu Kudam (Vessel for making Puttu) and allow it to boil. Place the Puttu Kuti on top of the Puttu Kudam and allow it to steam.
8. Cook for 7-8 minutes after steam starts coming out of the Puttu Kutti.
Cherupayar curry(Green Gram Curry)
Cherupayar (green gram) --- 1 cup
Raw banana --- 1 no
Chooped Onions --- 1 big
Curry leaves ---- few
Green chillies ---- 5 -6 nos
Chillie powder ---- ½ tsp
Haldi powder --- ½ tsp
Jeera --- 1 tsp
Mustard seeds --- ½ tsp
Coconut grated ---1/2 cup
Garlic -- 2 flakes
Cook cherupayr, banana, chopped onions, chilly powder, haldi powder, salt for 5 whistles in pressure cooker. Allow it to cool.
Grind coconut,. Green chilly, haldi, garlic and jeera to smooth paste. Add this paste to cooked green gram and boil for 10 minutes. Add water for gravy. Heat oil in Kadai, add mustard seeds and curry leaves to splutter. Then add this mixture to curry.