Monday, 17 August 2015
Batate nonche/ potato pickle
Potato pickle is an instant pickle which can be prepared quickly. Normally we prepare this on festival season . No preservatives are added in this type of pickles. We can use this pickle for 3 to 4 days if refrigerated, or can be reheated and kept in room temperature. It tastes good next day so it is better to keep it prepared previous day of functions or festivals. Good side dish for rice and very good combination with idly, dosa etc.
· Potato small cubes - 1 cup
· Tamarind - 1 small marble size
· Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
· Methi seeds - ¼ tsp
· Hing - small piece
· Red chillies - 10 -12 as per taste
· Salt to taste
· Oil for deep frying potatoes
· Apply salt to chopped potatoes, keep aside for 10-15 minutes.
· Add little oil in a kadai roast the red chillies and keep aside.
· Take 1 tsp of oil in seasoning pan, add mustard seeds, methi seeds and hing. Fry till nice aroma comes or mustard splutters.
· Grind roasted red chilly, tamarind, and roasted spices into fine paste.
· Squeeze out water from the potatoes and deep fry them till crisp.
· Boil chilly paste add little salt (because potatoes have little salt in it) boil it for 5 to 10 minutes then add fried potatoes boil it for 1 minute switch off the gas.
· Finally season with mustard and curry leaves.
· Yummy pickle is ready to serve.
Same way we can prepare yam pickle (surna nonce) also, already given in my blog