Friday, 26 September 2014
Thingalavre Upkari (white beans stir fry)
This is a protein rich and healthy breakfast. I was in great confusion as to what should be prepared for breakfast, suddenly I remembered about this healthy “thingalavre upkari and povva chutney which my Grand mother used to prepare.
White beans -- 1 cup
Red chilly -- 5 to 6
Hing powder -- ½ tsp
Mustard seeds -- 1 tsp
Curry leaves -- few
Oil -- 2 tsp
Grated coconut -- 2 to 3 tbsp
Salt to taste
· Soak white beans for 5 to 6 hours or overnight.
· Pressure cook with 3 cups of water for 3 to 4 whistles.
· Strain the water and keep aside.
· Heat oil in kadai, add mustard seeds, hing powder, curry leaves and broken red chillies and fry for a while.
· Then add cooked beans, salt add little cooked water mix well let it boil for 5 to 10 minutes then add grated coconut mix well and cook for 5 minutes.
· Serve this as a break fast either with povva chutney or alone.