This is an almost forgotten dish of Konkanis. This is mix of little sweetness and spicyness. “kothavara” called medike sang in Konkani. This is a very good side dish for lunch.
Medike sang - 250 gms
Grated coconut - ½ cup
Urad dal - 2 tsp
Red chilly - 6 to 8
Jaggery grated - 1 or 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds - ½ tsp
Curry leaves - few
· Chop medike sang and keep aside.
· Take 1 tsp oil in seasoning pan, add urad dal, fry till light brown. Remove urad dal from oil, in remaining oil fry the red chilly for few minutes.
· Grind it with grated coconut and fried urad dal into coarse paste. Pls do not much water.
· In a pressure cooker add 1 or 2 tsp of oil, add mustard seeds, when it splutter add curry leaves fry for a minute then add chopped medike sang and grounded masala mix it well add ½ cup of water, salt and small piece of grated jaggery and cook for 1 or 2 whistles.
· Let it cool for some time, if excess water is found cook for some more time till it becomes semi thick.
· Medike sange sukka is ready.