This curry is one of my favourite, I love to eat this with basmati rice or vellayappam. I learnt this from my mother in law.
Fish (any fish) -- ½ kg
Onion -- 2 medium sized
Tomato -- 2
Green chilly -- 4 to 5
Ginger -- 1 “ piece
Garlic -- 2 to 3 flakes
Chilly powder -- 2 tsp
Turmeric powder -- ½ tsp
Pepper powder -- 2 tsp
Grated coconut -- 1 cup
Mustard seeds -- ½ tsp
Jeera -- ½ tsp
Oil as required
Salt to taste.
· Make thick paste of chilly powder, pepper powder and salt with little water.
· Clean and cut the fish into small pieces and marinate them with the paste already prepared and keep aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
· Then heat oil in a pan and shallow fry the fish pieces both sides and keep aside.
· In the same pan add little oil and mustard seeds, when it splutter add chopped ginger and slit green chilly. Fry for a minute then add sliced onions, fry till light pink then add ½ tsp of red chilly powder, ½ tsp of pepper powder and ½ tsp of turmeric powder fry for a while then add chopped tomatoes.
· Meanwhile grind grated coconut, jeera and garlic into fine paste. Add this paste to fried onion mixture, add salt accordingly (fried fish are already salted so do not add much salt), add water make it to thick gravy when it boils for the first time itself add fried fish pieces and allow to boil for 5 minutes.
· Switch off the gas, serve with vellayappam of rice.
Note:- This can be prepared with leftover fried fish also.