This is a dish using Smoked eggplant mashed and cooked with masala, onion and tomatoes. This is a good side dish with Rotis. I got this recipe from a TV show with a slight variation from my side by adding sweet corn. I just love the smoky flavour of bhaigan.
Eggplant (bhaigan) 1 large size
Onion chopped 1
Ginger chopped 1 tsp
Garlic chopped 2 tsp
Red chilli powder 2 tsp
Turmeric powder ¼ tsp
Coriander powder 1 tsp
Jeera powder ½ tsp
Green chilly chopped 1 or 2
Jeera ½ tsp
Boiled sweet corn ¼ cup (optional)
Tomatoes chopped 2
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves chopped 1 tbsp
Oil 2 or 3 tsp
· Apply little oil on eggplant.
· Keep this on gas in low flame for roasting, in between turn it so all sides roast evenly.
· After eggplant’s skin turn black switch off the gas and keep this in a bowl and cover with a lid. So we get smoky flavour in eggplants. After 5 min slowly remove outer skin of egg plants. (we have applied oil on eggplants so we can quickly remove skin out of it)
· Mash the eggplant and keep aside.
· Heat oil in kadai put jeera when it splutters add chopped ginger and garlic fry and till light brown, then add green chilli and chopped onions fry till transparent.
· Then add chilli powder, coriander powder, jeera powder, turmeric and salt and fry for 2 to 3 min on low flame then add chopped tomatoes fry till it gets mashed then add boiled sweet corn and mashed eggplant mix well and cook for 5 min.
· Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
· Serve hot with rotis.